WELCOME TO THE EMPLOYMENT COMMITTEE'S JOB SEEKING TIPS PAGE
Find information that will help you be the best job seeker you can be
Back to Home Page
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness - Find articles that highlight factors associated with employment under our research reports here at Louisiana Tech. Additionally, the sub link to our critical concerns page has books about rehabilitation and employment.
- If you are legally blind and are not receiving Social Security Financial Support for Blind or Low Vision People, then you really should download this article to learn about Social Security benefits. Then later, if you become a beneficiary, and are planning to go back to work, you would be wise to take advantage of the next item of this long list of helpful links and articles to being blind and employed.
If you are receiving Social Security disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI), or Supplemental Security Income Insurance (SSI), then to aid you with your employment plan, you need to know what will happen to your benefits if you start earning an income. Social Security has created a relatively simple to understand guide to all the work incentives they have available. It is called the Social Security Redbook. This link will take you to that important document.
If you are looking for a federal job, watch this YouTube video on using a Schedule "A" Appointment to get in.
- Download The 70 Percent Solution - Employment preparation in a center environment - by Dick Davis, NFB Employment Committee, chairt.
- Download How Job Fairs Work - A guide to doing well at an NFB Job Fair - by Dick Davis, NFB Employment Committee, Chair.
- Download this Great Article Relating to Keeping Your Job - The top five things you should never do at work.
- Download How to Successfully Work an Online Job Fair - A guide to doing well at a virtual job fair, by Jim Ditt.
- Download Are You Doing All You Need to Do to Find a Job - 12 Guiding questions, by Jim Ditt.
- Download a short collection of articles by Lou Adler on - Hiring and Getting a Job.
- Download an article about the importance of a cover letter - Why I Care More About Your Cover Letter Than Your Resume, by Lauren Nelson
- Download the Biggest Mistakes I See on Resumes, and How to Correct Them - by Laszlo Bock, SVP People Operation at Google.
- Download My Personal Formula for a Winning Resume - by Laszlo Bock, SVP People Operation at Google.
- Download Tips and Awarenesses you as a job seeker must have about your use of Social Media - by Dick Davis, NFB Employment Committee, chair.
- The STAR technique allows you to tell your story during an interview and is commonly used to answer behavioral/competency based questions.